The current Highway Code allows the car to be used as transport in case of medical emergency. However, it is very important that you know how to indicate this circumstantial use of your vehicle and how you should behave while driving. Therefore, below we clarify the most common doubts in this regard, so that even in an emergency situation you avoid receiving a financial sanction.
THE LAW AND THE PRIORITY USE OF A PRIVATE VEHICLE
As stated in Article 70 of the General Traffic Regulations:
- If, as a consequence of particularly serious circumstances, the driver of a non-priority vehicle is forced, without being able to resort to another means, to carry out a service normally reserved for priority ones, he will try to make the other users notice the special situation in which circulate, using the buzzer intermittently and turning on the emergency light, if available, or shaking a handkerchief or similar procedure.
- The drivers referred to in the preceding paragraph must respect the traffic regulations, especially at intersections, and the other road users shall comply with the provisions of article 69.
- At any time, the agents of the authority may demand the justification of the circumstances referred to in section 1.
- Violations of the rules of this precept will be considered serious, as provided in article 65.4.c) of the articulated text.
HOW TO REPORT AN EMERGENCY SITUATION
Article 70 of the General Traffic Regulations, mentioned above, specifies it very clearly so that there is no doubt about it. To warn other road users that you are driving your vehicle in an emergency situation, you must use acoustic and visual signals or you can buy used cars online in United Kingdom from auto for trade.
- Acoustic signals: It is mandatory to use the horn intermittently. This is one of the few situations in which you can use it without being penalized.
- Visual cues: You must activate your hazard lights. If you don’t have these lights, you can wave a handkerchief out the car window to visually alert other drivers and pedestrians to the situation.
DO YOU HAVE TO RESPECT THE TRAFFIC RULES?
Even if you use your car as a priority vehicle and you find yourself in an emergency situation, you cannot violate the traffic rules at any time. This prohibition includes speed limits, traffic lights or any other indication. You must bear in mind that a priority vehicle, such as an ambulance, does have certain licenses allowed when it is circulating in an emergency situation. However, your car is not a priority vehicle, so you can be fined if you do not respect the traffic regulations.
On the other hand, you should know that when making decisions about the transport of the injured, it is essential that you communicate the problem and the seriousness of the situation to emergency personnel, to follow their advice at all times.
POINTS TO CONSIDER WHEN DRIVING IN AN EMERGENCY
- You must be in a real emergency situation and in particularly serious circumstances to use your car as a priority vehicle.
- The authorities of the authorities can stop your vehicle to check what is the emergency situation that forces this priority use of the car.
- The car should be the last resort used to transport injured people or those in need of urgent medical attention.
- The use of visual and acoustic resources to warn that you are circulating urgently does not enable you to skip the traffic lights or circulate exceeding the speed limit.