Thursday, June 20, 2024
HomeHealth & FitnessSexual Health - Where can I get Support and Advice?

Sexual Health – Where can I get Support and Advice?

Have you forgotten taking your contraceptive pills and enjoyed unprotected sex with your partner? If yes, then you must be worried about unwanted pregnancy and thinking what to do to overcome such situation. Read on to know what you can do and where you should go when you require urgent help.

Can you get a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?

If you have had enjoy sex without a condom, then there is every possibility you might be caught with a sexually transmitted infection or STI.

You need to make necessary arrangements for getting tested when you:

  • Have not developed any symptoms, but might be worried of getting an STI
  • Have some symptoms like abnormal discharge
  • Feel something seems to be wrong

If you remain sexually active, then you should either stop enjoying sex or use a condom till you are sure you have not been infected with an STI. In case you are having an STI, a condom can prevent from passing it to others. You should ask your sex partners to get tested too.

More Related Info:

You can choose confidential advice and treatment from your private GP in the area even when you are below 16 years. Hospitals usually have GUM clinics or sexual health clinics that test and treat for different STIs. Most sexually transmitted infections can be treated easily and so, you need not worry about getting a test done and knowing you are suffering from an STI.

What should you do when you think you are pregnant?

The first thing you should do is take a pregnancy test. Thus, the sooner you will do it, the better it is going to be. Different places allow you to get a pregnancy test done for free and get their confidential advice when you are below 18. Some of these include the following:

  • Contraceptive clinic
  • Some pharmacies
  • Sexual health clinic (GUM clinic)
  • Some young people’s services such as calling national sexual health helpline on 0300 123 7123 for further details
  • Some GP surgeries
  • Brookcentres – for under-25s

You may even purchase your pregnancy test kit from the pharmacies and do it yourself at the comfort of your home.

What should you do once you get pregnant?

If you have an unprepared pregnancy, then you have to decide whether you would like to give birth to your baby. In case you want to go for abortion, the sooner you do it, the better it will be on your part. But you might require sometime to take your decision and so, it is necessary to know whether you have conceived soon.

You should not tell anyone you are pregnant till you are ready for it. You may talk to your female doctor and discuss everything in details so that you can be more comfortable. If you want to continue with your pregnancy, then begin with antenatal care quickly which includes conducting health check ups for you as well as your baby.

What happens when you enjoy sex without using a condom?

When you have had without a condom or condom breaks suddenly, there is some risk of getting pregnant and having some STIs. The best thing you can do is act quickly to prevent unwanted pregnancy or get yourself tested for STI.


You may become pregnant when you enjoy sex without using a condom or the condom splits off. In such case, you can either:

  • Take emergency contraceptive pill or morning-after pill within 3 to 5 days after your unsafe sex based on the pill you choose
  • Go for an intrauterine device (IUD), also known as a coil that can be fitted within 5 days after unprotected sex

It is suggested to take a pregnancy test when your next period does not arrive on time. When enjoying sex with your partner, talk t a doctor and know about the right kind of contraception for you.

Sexually transmitted infections

When you have sex without condom or your condom split off, chances are you have every risk of being infected with an STI. In such situation, you should seek advice in your local area and go for free testing for STIs at:

  • sexual health clinic or GUM clinic
  • some GPs
  • community contraceptive clinics


Chlamydia is a common sexually transmitted infection that can be tested for free at the sexual health clinic or GP surgery. You may purchase testing kits for Chlamydia to use at home and these free tests can be done online for 15 to 24 years old.

What happens when you forget to take your contraceptive pill?

You might not be protected against unwanted pregnancy when you do not take the contraceptive pill. This will depend on the kind you take, number of doses you have already missed and the pills that are still left. It is advised to take the pill and visit your doctor for further advice as well as use condoms for additional protection from unwanted pregnancy.

When you cannot remember taking a pill daily, you might consider another method of contraception such as the contraceptive implant, IUD or contraceptive injection . This means you need not think about contraception regularly or every time you have sex.

Can medication or falling sick affect your contraceptive pill?

When you take it in the proper way and at the right time, the contraceptive pill will be 99% effective. But certain things like falling sick or vomiting may prevent it from working properly. You should go through the instructions on the packet carefully and follow the advice of your doctor before taking the pill.

There are some medicines that prevent contraceptive pill from working properly. You should speak with your doctor who advice when they give these medicines.

What happens when you are pushed for sex?

If someone has persuaded you into a sexual situation, then you might feel uncomfortable and require help. You can call the national sexual health helpline free on 0300 123 7123 and your call will be attended with sensitivity and in strict confidence.

You can also contact a sexual assault referral centre or SARC where you can get specialist support and medical care when you are sexually assaulted. Thus, a sexual assault might take place anywhere which can be your home, and is probably done by someone you know.

You need to visit a sexual health clinic and get yourself tested to know if you have conceived due to unprotected sex.


Most Popular

Recent Comments